I made this KALLAX with whiteboard doors for use in my work / study room.
The doors hide the contents of the KALLAX and are useful for planning, designing, scribbling notes, etc.
The storage and whiteboard doors are probably very useful for homeschooling too. If you have children using this, I would recommend anchoring the entire unit securely to the wall at multiply points. Do double check that the anchors sink into the non-hollow sections of the KALLAX.
It was economical for me as I used two whiteboards that I already had.
IKEA item used:
KALLAX 5×5 | IKEA.com
- 2 whiteboards (size 900mm x 1200mm)
- 600mm x 40mm piano hinges x 4
- 80 x self tapping #6 x 1-1/2 inch screws
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Drill and drill bits
- Gaffer tape or double sided tape can help in fitting
- Door catch of your choice
- Strong wall mounting kit for KALLAX
Instructions for KALLAX whiteboard doors
1. First thing, make sure you use a strong wall mounting kit to secure the KALLAX to the wall. These whiteboard doors will add considerable weight to an already large, high, heavy piece of furniture. This is a safety issue if you have children who may try to climb the KALLAX unit.
2. Use screws to mount all 4 piano hinges to the long sides of the whiteboards.
3. With the help of at least one other person, position the whiteboard on one side of the KALLAX unit. I found it helped to use double sided tape and gaffer tape to hold it in position, even with another person holding it.
4. Use the screws, drill, drill bit, and screwdriver to mount the whiteboard as pictured.
5. Repeat for the second whiteboard.
6. I used some neodymium magnets with countersunk holes as a door catch, and screwed a piece of ferrous metal to the whiteboard so it hits the magnet. This keeps the doors closed.
~ by David
The post Up the usefulness of the KALLAX with whiteboard doors appeared first on IKEA Hackers.