Top 7 Tips for a Successful DIY Bathroom Remodel
Posted by admin on
The bathroom is one of the most important spaces in a home. Remodeling your bathroom is a great way to reinvigorate your home to make it feel fresh and updated. You could decorate your bathroom, which would help, but changing the décor isn’t enough to increase home value.
One of the most cost-effective measures among bathroom renovations, whether large or small, is to take a DIY approach. Home improvement doesn’t have to be expensive. Many homeowners are aware that DIY skills can lower labor costs.
Every bathroom has a few key components, for example, a toilet, sink, cabinets, shower, bathtub, and flooring. The bathroom is the most used space in your home that can be broken down. This makes bathroom renovation an ideal DIY opportunity.
By tackling the things you’re comfortable with, you’ll incur fewer additional costs. After you’ve done everything you can do, leave the finishing touches to a professional contractor.
How To Remodel A Bathroom
Bathroom renovations are not easy. With home renovation and interior design, precise measurements are required. You need to know the amount of materials and the necessary tools required to complete a bathroom shower remodel, for example.
As most homeowners will agree, bathroom design is a serious home improvement endeavor. Before you begin, make a bathroom remodel checklist to determine if your bathroom remodeling ideas are practical. Don’t hesitate to get a second opinion from a general contractor. There are several bathroom remodeling companies that can help you with your budget, for example.
Steps To Remodel A Bathroom Space
- Plan and budget. Figure out what your bathroom remodel costs will be. Do some research on the average bathroom remodel cost and create a budget around that figure. You will also want to know how long it will take to create your new bathroom space. This is important with small bathrooms and tiny bathrooms.
- Remove your old bathroom floor, hardware, and disconnect the water.
- Prepare the plumbing for a new bathtub, replace shower controls, and address all modifications.
- Prepare electrical outlets for new high-end fixtures and ventilation.
- If you opened your walls to rewire electrical cords, secure the drywall.
- Paint everything before installing a bathtub, new toilet, or sink to avoid splatter or other problems with your bathroom design.
- Install ceramic and porcelain tiles with grout and use caulk to seal everything. With bathroom design flooring, this will reduce mildew growth and make a big difference in your home’s resale value.
- Install lights, fans, grab bars, marble countertops, laminate countertops, and new shower doors after the tile is set.
- Install the bathtub, toilet, sink, countertops, and cabinets,
- Add final touches, like towel bars, garb bars, bathroom pictures, and shelving to complete them.
Mistakes To Avoid When Remodeling A Bathroom
Remodeling your bathroom is an exciting home improvement project. Here are a few things to consider for your bathroom renovation that will help save time and money:
- Choose simple options over expensive ones because they will both get the job done.
- Fix the bathroom that you know how to do. Replacing what you can repair can end up being far more costly.
- Bathroom ventilation is important as it prevents mildew and mold.
- Bathroom remodels are easier when you have someone helping you.
- Choose the right flooring for your bathroom. Wood products aren’t your best option for a steamy bathroom.
What Is The First Thing To Do When Remodeling A Bathroom?
The first thing you need to do is create a plan. A bathroom remodel plan should include everything like color themes, new fixtures, storage areas, and the location of utilities.
When you’re ready, you can begin demolition and gutting your bathroom space.
Bathroom Remodel Costs
When you figure out how much to remodel a bathroom is factor in the size of the space, fixtures, material quality. Savvy homeowners can complete a few bathroom remodel ideas until it comes to plumbing. Then, it would be best if you let a professional handle it.
How Much Does A Bathroom Remodel Cost?
For a bathroom remodel, if you decide to go DIY, you’ll spend $2,500. If you want high-quality materials, you’ll that will cost upwards of $10,000. The national average total cost is $10,000 for the overall cost of a new bathroom. A master bathroom is higher. A smaller bathroom remodel costs $7,000 or less. High-end bathroom remodels cost $30,000 or more.
7 DIY Bathroom Design Tips
1. Update The Walls.
The walls of a room set the tone, style, and vibe of any space. If your bathroom has peeling, crusty wallpaper, tinted and speckled paint, or dated, then it’s time for a new bathroom design. Your walls are clean and freshened up, the space will experience a pick-me-up in the style department.
Some DIY bathroom remodeling options include:
- Smoothing out the dated wall texture.
- Installing board and batten.
- Painting the walls a fresh, light color. Less contrast will make the space feel bigger, whereas higher contrast (e.g., darker walls) will add higher energy, even to smaller bathrooms.
- Installing contemporary wallpaper.
2. Maximize the mirror.
Every bathroom should have a mirror, and most of them, if not all, have one hanging above a sink. A bathroom mirror should be large enough so you can see your entire head. With small bathrooms, a mirror would double the size of the space.
Mirrors are beneficial. In small bathroom remodels, mirrors reflect more light and make the tiniest bathroom seem bigger than it is.
DIY options for maximizing your bathroom mirror include:
- Choosing a mirror large enough to make a statement.
- Mounting a bathroom mirror professionally, even though you’re not a professional.
- Install a light on top of your mirror for increased light reflection and a doubled-up opportunity to admire a great light fixture.
- Ensuring the mirror is centered above the bathroom sink.
3. Customize Your Vanity.
The vanity or double vanity could be the largest piece of “furniture” in your bathroom. You have an opportunity to show off your style with a vanity makeover. With a DIY bathroom remodel, you may not feel comfortable with replacing the vanity. If you don’t, there are a few ways you can take your bathroom vanity from drab to fab.
Some DIY options that will ensure the best bathroom remodel include:
- Replacing the vanity. (This idea might require a plumber or other professional unless you are a very experienced and knowledgeable DIYer in this arena.)
- Updating the cabinet faces of your existing bathroom vanity.
- Laying a faux marble countertop out of concrete underlayment or undermount sink onto your existing bathroom vanity countertop.
- Building a clever, chic shelving unit to hide unsightly bathroom accessories and necessities, mounted to the side of the vanity.
- Updating the vanity hardware.
4. New Tile For The Bathtub And Shower Surround
This DIY project is not “a” project, but many small ones wrapped in the same puzzle. You want to get it right, or your new bathtub or shower will leak. On the flip side, a re-tiled shower or tub surround would look nice.
It’s fresh, updated, and customized to your preferences. This is a DIY project for all skill levels; and if you do it yourself it would help keep your bathroom remodel cost lower and add to your home’s resale value.
When installing new tile, whether it’s the floor or shower, learn how to use a wet tile saw (full tutorial available). It’s not hard and offers a few advantages that will be beneficial if you’re aware of them while making a huge difference in the time spent on your floor space during your simple bathroom remodel.
Some DIY options for updating the tile surround include:
- Removing your original tub/shower surround tile.
- Tiling the shower/tub surround. We like the idea of taking a classic and giving it a modern twist – laying the tiles vertically, for example, or in a herringbone pattern would make a difference.
- Installing a shower shelf DIY bathroom remodel designs are based on your requirements to lay new tile in the shower.
- Waterproofing the tub surround is critical in a wet bathroom, so be sure to seal and caulk your tile surround for longevity.
5. Choose Stylish Bathroom Lighting
Most people can change a light fixture if they follow the instructions. What a difference fresh lighting makes.
This DIY bathroom remodel idea is simple. Lighting is key, so be sure you’re opting for light that is bright, but not too bright, and also designed for high-moisture areas.
Some DIY options for installing stylish bathroom lighting include:
- Installing a light directly onto the bathroom mirror. This idea is both unique and useful if you have a large mirror and fa ew options for mounting.
- Building a modern brass branch light to install above the vanity mirror.
- Embracing an industrial bathroom style with an industrial-rustic bathroom light fixture.
- Replace the standard overhead light with a brighter LED option.
6. Update Fixtures And Hardware
Fixtures and hardware are important for finishing touches.
DIY bathroom ideas for updating fixtures and hardware:
- Upgrading your bathroom faucet by removing the old and replacing it with something sleeker and more contemporary and/or functional.
- Swapping out your tub and shower fixtures. If you’re remodeling the tub and/or shower anyway, you can take this DIY option a step further and move the shower heads to a more convenient height or add more shower heads.
- Replacing an old toilet paper dispenser with a new one that you’ve made yourself is simple. This can be something as simple as bending some thick-gauge brass wire into a dispenser shape or as chic as creating your own brass dispenser out of pipe fittings.
- Installing stylish wall hooks helps to keep towels and clothes off the ground, which increases both your bathroom’s form and function. This is useful in the small bathroom remodel, where every square inch counts. Solid surface countertops would also be a good idea.
7. Enjoy Functional And Beautiful Details.
While a bathroom is a function-heavy space, this doesn’t mean it can’t perform its job without style and comfort. Take the time in your DIY bathroom remodeling to consider what details will users best.
More Bathroom Remodeling Ideas
Some DIY options for including beautiful and useful details in your bathroom include:
- Hang some artwork on the wall.
- Lay a comfortable, non-slip rug near any water-prone area.
- Mount a shelf above the door of the bathroom to maximize some otherwise wasted space.
- Replace shower curtains or update your existing shower curtains with something unique, such as trim along the lead edge.
- Mount shower curtains from the ceiling for a more dramatic flair. The vertical emphasis of this idea helps expand the room’s feeling of airiness for a small bathroom remodel.
Common Bathroom Renovation Mistakes
Mistakes are part of the learning process. Plenty of homeowners have learned the hard way after remodeling their bathrooms, guest bathrooms, or master bathrooms.
- No layout plan – If you have a bathroom remodel plan, follow it.
- Not enough extra space – You need a floor plan that saves space for toiletries, towels, a bathroom counter, and cleaning products. So make sure to include more space for everything you’ll need to store in the bathroom.
- Using unsuitable materials – Choose practical materials for your bathroom to keep maintenance as easy as possible.
- Pour drainage – If there’s one thing you want to ensure, it’s that you have enough drainage to avoid any draining issues.
- Putting too much into a tiny space – Ensure there is plenty of room to fit comfortably in the bathroom by avoiding large or unnecessary appliances.
- Poor ventilation – The bathroom collects the most moisture in the house, and good ventilation avoids mold and ruining the wall decor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)FAQ
Do You Need Permits To Remodel A Bathroom?
Requirements for permits vary, even though there are no federal permits required to remodel your bathroom or master bathroom. You can check with contractors about permits and how much does a bathroom remodel cost. If you plan to make plumbing electrical or electrical changes, you will need a permit.
How Long Does A Bathroom Remodel Take?
It depends on a few factors:
– Whether the remodel is cosmetic or a strip-to-the-studs rebuild.
– Do you plan to DIY, or are you hiring a contractor?
– Will you need to hire multiple professionals, or can one person do it all?
– Did you special order materials, or do you have them on hand?
You can create a reasonably accurate estimate when you factor these into a time frame. You can estimate around two to four weeks for simple and smaller projects to complete the project. For more extensive bathrooms, you can expect it to take four to six weeks to complete the remodel.
Who Should You Hire For A Bathroom Remodel?
Search online for” bathroom remodel companies near me” or “best bathroom remodelers near me,” and you’ll find several options. If you want to hire a bathroom remodeler, start by asking others who have hired someone to remodel their bathroom.
Make a list of your top picks and conduct phone interviews to confirm their credentials, ask for references, and calculate remodel costs. Take notes, verify information, and schedule an appointment.
How Much Resale Value Does A Bathroom Remodel Add?
If you’re remodeling your bathroom before you sell your house, you want to know how much the remodel adds to your house. According to experts, recoup amounts vary based on the quality of the finished bathroom, but on average it will be between 50 and 60 percent of the remodel’s cost.
What Is The Most Expensive Part Of A Bathroom remodel?
Your biggest cost will come from plumbing. The cost of plumbing is high and requires professional contractors. If you’re moving your toilet, a plumber will have to move the sewer line. The plumbing for bathrooms is so expensive because oftentimes, the plumbing is connected to the foundation, and plumbers have to alter the foundation to run new pipes for your remodel, which means labor costs will be higher.
Bathroom Remodel Conclusion
You’ve decided your bathroom needs a revamp. Use these tips to create the bathroom of your dreams and avoid making mistakes when remodeling your bathroom. Take your time when searching for bathroom remodeling contractors. There are thousands of bathroom remodel ideas to choose from, so that should be the least of your worries. A bathroom may be a little room, but it’s where you shower and use the toilet, so the room is important on many levels.
The post Top 7 Tips for a Successful DIY Bathroom Remodel appeared first on Home Decorating Trends - Homedit.